Thursday, December 16, 2010

BELIEVE

We are always full of Missy stories. Maybe everything she does is fairly standard for a child her age, and I admit probably so. But we think she is amazing.

She is always learning and surprising us with what she knows. She can't quite count to 20, but she does simple math in her head. "Mommy, there are four crackers here, so that's two for me and two for Buggie"
Or after I tell her "we have to go to two stores in the city then on the way home we will stop at the grocery store close to our house."
She puts it together "so that's three stores."
Like I said, probably not all that unusual, but it's our Missy.


On a recent trip to Missouri she was visiting in the Maughan's ward nursery, and new all the answers to the questions about Christmas.

Why is Christmas special?
"It's baby Jesus' birthday!"
"And Mary is his mother." (unsolicited information)

Why is Jesus special?
"Because He is our Savior."

What was in the sky when Jesus was born?
"A new star!"

And today she told me quite matter-of-fact that Jesus has a Mommy and a Daddy. Mary and Heavenly Father.

A few days ago we were watching the Church's DVD "Joy to the World", which along with the Nativity it has clips from "The Lamb of God" and shows parts of Christ's crucifixion. We have talked a lot about the Resurrection and that Jesus died, but never very many details of how He died. So when they showed someone picking up a nail she asked "what is that nail for?" And I explained to her how He died. "Why did they do that to him?"
I explained by telling her that it was because they didn't believe Jesus when he said He was the Savior, and they were mad at Him.

At that her eyes got big and she look right at me "But I believe him!" pause. "We believe Him, don't we, Mommy?"

Yes, Bella, we do. Merry Christmas. And may we all believe Him with the faith and purity of a somewhat precocious three year old.

1 comment:

Carol said...

Oh Liz, thank you! Such a sweet, simple testimony. Children teach us much, huh?