Sunday, January 15, 2012

Personal Progress

Ok all you Women and Mothers out there--
I am working on my YW Personal Progress. I am supposed to discuss with other women the qualities needed to teach children to have faith and base their decisions on that faith.
I think first and foremost in teaching children to have faith that the mother must have a demonstrate her faith in the Lord, so children can see how faith = action & power. I mean-Faith requires action. DO something about it. And that creates power in you life.
They need to know what to have faith in. Faith in our Savior, faith in prayer, faith in the principles of the gospel and by following them your life will be blessed.
Pray with and having the children pray. Having children pay tithing I believe is important, teaches them to demonstrate faith. They need to know how to recognize the promptings of the spirit (although I think I sometimes still struggle with this) so that they can act in faith on promptings they receive.

So...ladies...thoughts? You can comment here or send me an email with your thoughts.
Thanks!

4 comments:

Amelia said...

We did an activity with this theme. It was fun we had the moms come and had a short speaker then discussion and of course food! :)
I think that example is the MOST important!!
Point out the spirit when you feel it, so they can learn to recognize it.
Give opportunities to make choices, and sometime mistakes.

Laylabean said...

I think you pretty much nailed it. Helping them recognize that faith is an action and a choice has been one of the hardest parts for me.

Jessica said...

I agree with everyone else. Our lives are our best example. We have to live what we say we believe and talk about it. Our kids see our weaknesses, they also need to see how we deal with them, hear our prayers, our apologies, see us reading scriptures, hear our testimonies and have opportunities to develop their own.

Bernice Oliver said...

This is Alicia here instead of my mom, I think that you are all right and I think that the hardest part might be when you are having a tough day, but you need to still read scriptures as a family and do family prayer morning and night. My family always remembers to do family prayer when we are going some were in the morning, but other wise we often forget. We are working on it.