Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Our luxurious RIDE

When I started high school, I planned to try out for the volleyball team. That is what my older sister had been doing, and of course at 14 I still wanted to do whatever she was doing. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, we went on a family vacation during the week of volleyball tryouts. So I ran Cross Country instead. Which is what my other sisters had done in high school.

I loved it. I found a place on the team where I belonged, and coincidentally, my sister ran instead of Volleyball, anyway. I don't remember the details as to why. But we had a great time running together. I also made great friends, had good mentors, learned to like running, and had enough success to help me be confidant in myself.

Since then I have always enjoyed running, and whenever I felt stressed or needed some time to think about life or clear my head I would head out for a run. Many of the biggest decisions of my life have been made while pounding the pavement, and many tears shed, and prayers said. Even on my mission some of my toughest days I dragged my companions out of bed early because I NEEDED a run. One of them just recently admitted to me she hated it, but went because I asked her to.

Since having kids it has been difficult to get out. When I say difficult, I mean basically never. Until this spring.
And THIS is what has made it possible:



We have a sweet new ride. It has literally kept my sanity this summer. I feel like I get some time to myself, doing something I enjoy, even with them along. I feel more healthy and have lost some weight so I feel better about myself, and the days we start with a jog I am more patient with the kids, more motivated to get things done, and just all around BETTER.

Belle knows where ALL the animals are on our route, and we routinely have to stop for goats, cows, horses, and a "little tiny pony". I can't tell what Keith thinks about it, but he doesn't complain. I am actually getting to the point where when we get home I feel like I could go longer*.We are quite the wide load running down the road. Runner's World magazine says that you can burn 20% more calories pushing a jogging stroller depending on the weight of your child. What about CHILDREN? 20+ pound Keith, 26+ pound Belle, plus the stroller. Yup, I'm getting tough.



*any given North-South street in Grantsville goes uphill towards Deseret Peak. (South). When you are in a car, you would never notice. When you are 17 an in shape you only notice if you have already run 10 miles and are getting tired. When you are 28, out of shape, and pushing 50+ pounds of stroller & kid, you notice. A lot. It's a killer. So...I haven't changed my route because I can't figure out the best way to do it without adding more north-south streets.

4 comments:

Amelia said...

I'm jealous! What fun to run in G-ville again. It has taken years but I am at the point where I would really like to start running again. We should find a race next year to train for, then I would have to figure out how to run... :)

Jules said...

Oh Liz. You are way-ambitious! Way to go you! I'm so glad you've been able to do that. Now you just have to make sure Belle can ride a bike before you have another one so you don't have to trade in the double-wide for a triple-wide! ;-)
Give those little cuties a hug and kiss for me! Miss them.

Laylabean said...

Swanky! I'm in awe of your motivation. Way to go!

blackcrownana said...

Wow Liz! Way to go! And I can attest to have seen her use it on the Upper Loop in Marion. She reports that on the downhill on the south side of the loop the 50 lbs. tries to get away from her-----
Liz, you make me proud, and feeling somewhat lazy----I wonder if it's enough to be motivating.....?