Saturday, February 06, 2010

A Conversation with Belle

Belle: "Daddy, can I watch the Strawberry Shortcake movie?"

Daddy: "You've already watched one movie today, sweetheart. Maybe another day."

Belle: "No, Daddy. You're supposed to say YES after EVERYTHING I say! Try again."
"Daddy, can I watch the Strawberry Shortcake movie?"

Daddy: "No, you have already watched a movie today. If you want me to say yes to
everything you say then Belle needs to say "Daddy, can I eat some
vegetables?" or "Daddy, can I clean up my toys?".

Belle: "No, Daddy. YOU clean up my toys. Because you are in charge of cleaning up
all the toys."


Other notable Belle-isms of the last week or so.

*On the nights David is home he always cleans up the kitchen and does the dishes while I lie by the kids to go to sleep. When David gives Belle a kiss goodnight she always asks what he is going to do, and he usually replies "clean up the kitchen". One night when he wasn't home Belle asked me "Who is going to do the dishes while we sleep?"

*Pulling into an OLD NAVY store: "I see a blue D for "Daddy", right next to the L for "Lizzy"!"

*I have been accumulating boxes of various things like too small kids clothes in the basement, and the great clean-out project to get ready for Mom and Dad to come home is on. Belle was asking why we are cleaning it all up, and I explained so Grandma and Grandpa can come home to a nice clean house. So now, every time there is a mess of any kind--even spilled milk, she has to clean it up for Grandma and Grandpa. "because Grandma and Grandpa won't want to come home and try and cook with that spill on the floor!"

On this same note, we have been talking about moving to a new house because Grandma and Grandpa are coming home to their house and don't need us to take care of it anymore. Also, David's sister is in the process of moving and I thought it would be a good chance for Belle to prepare for what it will be like when we move. So, in explaining that *cousin* will be moving to a new house, Belle asks "Who is coming home to their house?".

*All last month whenever Belle didn't want to do what you had asked her she would let you know by "Wait, Listen. I'm trying to explain something to you..." and then proceed to explain why she couldn't do what it was you wanted her to. This month it is the same process but a different catch phrase. It has now evolved to "The problem is...". For example "The problem is I have to take a water cup to bed because if I wake up in the night and need a drink then I need my water cup!"

No comments: