Christmas is such a magical time with kids who BELIEVE. They believe with such faith, never even doubting. It is so fun to see and watch their eyes light up.
Belle was SO disappointed when the Santa on the North Pole Express ride didn't quite meet her expectations. He forgot to ask her what she wanted. He asked all the other kids on the train. And then he gets to us and there were other people trying to talk to him, and he thought he got confused on which kids he was on, and he gave them a bell and that was it. After about 20 minutes of just resting her head on me in silence, we finally convinced her he already knew, that's why he didn't need to ask. In hind sight I would have tracked him down as he moved on to other kids and asked him to come back. If it ever happens again we will know what to do. Luckily she still talks about the train ride experience as a fun one, and that she got to see Santa *Phew*.
I am a believer in Christmas--as said by "my dear nephew Fred" in a Christmas Carrol "Christmas has never put a scrap of money in my pocket, but I believe it has done me good, and will do me good, and I say God Bless it". (Or something like that.)
I was pretty young when a "found out" about Santa. I think my little brother was even younger than I. I had older siblings who didn't believe in "not spoiling it for the little ones" and used me to crawl through the utility space in the old camp trailer where you could push out the drawer from the outside to get in and unlock the door so they could snoop on the Christmas presents. I still remember it--me crawling through, them cheering me on from the outside. YES --older siblings--this is meant to make you feel guilty--- though I don't recall which one of you was the instigator in this:)
But even then I wasn't convinced til coming downstairs Christmas morning I indeed saw those tings that we had found in the trailer. It was the year I got my best-loved Cabbage Patch doll I later left in the city park and lost forever. Still hurts to think about loosing her. Dad drove me back to look for her--and she was gone. Mom called city hall to see if someone turned her in. No luck. Even though she was replaced and I enjoyed playing with the replacement(thanks, Mom), it just wasn't the same. I use this story to scare Belle into taking care of the things she loves most.
Anyway--I think Christmas was still a wonderful time, I have good memories, magical moments, when I felt the spirit of Christmas. So ruining Santa didn't mean ruining Christmas. And this year I've discovered why (besides some of the obvious reasons--Christmas isn't really about Santa, etc.). That the magic and love that Santa generates IS real. You can't "ruin" him. Because it's all very real. I've finally figured it out. The love that it generates in people--in us, the "Santas"; and in the children who believe MAKES it real. And I still felt that love.
My neighbor believes. They are having an extremely difficult time financially, with not enough for even necessities for their family. At the first part of the month someone gave them $300. They bought a few things for Christmas with it, grateful because they wouldn't have had anything without it, and saved some for necessities. Then some family members of theirs brought their children several nice gifts. Then our Bishop showed up at their door last week with a "sleigh load" of things for their family--a nice TV, gift cards to clothing stores where she plans to buy much needed clothes for them, etc., etc. The Bishop has no idea who it came from, that it didn't even come from anyone in our community. Someone just called him and said they were driving out to Grantsville with the stuff and would he deliver it.
They BELIEVE.
And I BELIEVE, too.
I wasn't involved in that neighbor's miracle, but wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to do that for someone? I love the sharing and caring that goes on at Christmas. It's MAGIC.
But--Still--Don't ruin it for the little ones, K??
1 comment:
so, I remember going in to the trailer to peek and it ruined sneaking for me. I never wanted to know what anyone was getting after that. I don't know if it was my idea or not. . .don't remember that part, just that what i thought I was getting, Christine got. Sorry if it was my idea. I do tell my kids not to ruin it for anyone else and my 9 year old still believes:). Acutally all my kids do because if you don't you don't get anything. they just know who the helper is that brings stuff to our house.;)
Post a Comment