For the last month or so Sundays have been the most stressful, tiring days of the week. (i.e. the post of a few weeks ago about it was 'one of those days'), and I was starting to dread it. I officially labeled Sundays as "the worst days of the week". Trying to get myself and two little ones to church on time and then survive the 3 hour block and the tired worn-out afternoon(all of us tired and worn out)once it was over was just plain yucky.
So yesterday I decided that it just wasn't right that the Sabbath stirred such negative feelings for me, and that I wanted to do something about it. So last night after dinner I bathed both kids, and once they were asleep I showered as well--eliminating that step from the morning craziness. Then I read scriptures, and went to bed--hoping to get enough sleep to feel rested for the crazy day ahead. The sleep part didn't work out so well--but we did make it to church on time.
As we pulled into the parking lot Keith was crying in his car seat (he hates the car seat--cries more in it in an hour than the whole rest of the week), and Belle was looking sleepy which is great potential for grumpiness. I sent up a desperate plea for help.
Well, that help was sent in a number of different ways:
1--Baby sleeping during most of sacrament meeting.
2--patient nursery leader who will give Belle some one-on-one attention so she will stay in nursery for the WHOLE time--a record.(helps that there were only one or two other kids there today).
3--Primary President who decided I should be released from my calling--which at first I didn't really feel that was necessary--I thought I could do something to serve. And I probably can. But having that one less stress for an already difficult day made a HUGE difference in my ability to feel the Spirit and get strength out of going to church. I think I need that more than they need me to be the primary music leader.
4--teenage girl who sees me struggling with diaper bags, car seat, and toddler and carried said toddler to the car for me.
We actually stayed all three hours at church.
After church I focused on the kids and took it slow--didn't rush naps for anybody, or didn't rush Anything, actually. I asked Belle if she wanted a nap first or lunch first and she said "sucker first" (The teenager who carried her to the car gave her a Tootsie Pop). So she had a sucker first. Tomorrow I will have to practice "being the parent" and saying 'No' when it might not be the best idea--but today anything went. I did make her take off her dress first to not get it sticky.
The result: With a little extra effort and a little more exercise of faith, the worst day of the week turned out to be the best. As it should be.
No comments:
Post a Comment