So, you all know those teenage girls who when you ask what they want to be when they grow up and they say "Go to college, get married, have kids". And...?? It's like life ends after the "have kids" part. I'm not trying to say this isn't important...being a mother is the most important and biggest part of my life. I just want to point out that I was one of those girls, and was surprised when I still had big life decisions to make after I was "grown up".
Once I got married I thought all the big decisions in life were over. We could live happy ever after and not worry about what next. I think this is partly due to the fact that there are a lot of big life decisions made during that time of life. It's stressful. What I didn't know was that there are a lot of big life decisions to be made...throughout life...ALL the time*.
David and I have been so blessed that those decisions have been fairly painless and easy up to this point. We have been guided in what to do and things have worked out fairly smoothly. For example: The ONE online class I found to take at Gavilian Hills College in Gilroy. I couldn't have graduated before Belle was born without it. As it was I had to get special permission to take 20 credit hours in one semester. One more class would have gone over. That is just one example, there have been many blessings like that in our lives.
Now I am waiting for another such little miracle. We need to decide what to do next...where to live and raise our family, and find a house that we can afford. This decision has been very difficult. It's not as though we have to live somewhere for work. We could really live anywhere we want within reasonable distance to an airport. Some friends of ours recently moved their family with three small children to the West coast of Mexico.
After months of prayers and deliberation, we have sort of decided to look for a house in Grantsville. Homes are more affordable here, the drive to the airport is reasonable, and it is close to home where I can get support when David is away. Not that I couldn't find support other places. But those places don't meet the "affordable" criteria. The "sort of" means if we can find somewhere else that meets those criteria we aren't against looking somewhere else.
It is also fairly frustrating to David (and I--but more so for David) that after working hard to get where he is we are still wondering how we will afford a home. There are a lot of variables that if one or two of them tipped our direction we would feel a lot more comfortable about committing to a house. So, maybe we will just wait 6 more months and see if something changes. If it doesn't?
Ahh....life's big decisions. Bring 'em on.
*me being the drama queen that I am, sometimes what car seat to buy becomes a "Big" life decision. But I'm trying to keep things in perspective. Speaking of being a drama queen, I've taken the kids to the Dr so many times when there was nothing wrong with them that the Dr. actually suggested today that I buy my own otoscope to check them at home. awesome.
2 comments:
I have thought of asking where to buy an otoscope... I don't like taking my kids to the Dr, if they weren't sick when we went they are all sick when we leave.... Even for well child visits when we play in the "well child" area! Did your Dr tell you where to get one?
So are Belle and Keith sick? Hope not.
Good luck with the house buying decision, it is a good thing Steve jumps in and makes decisions, I am more like you and have a HARD time making decisions!
Well, Liz, I am 10 years down the road and recently asked anthony the same question, what next? We aren't even half way through life but have done all the "big" things. We have had the kids ( hopefully one more), we have a job, a house, etc. Now we must endure, raise the kids, and look forward to being grandparents.
On another note I just read a book that talked about it didn't matter where you chose to live but what goes on in your home that has the greatest impact in your life. So on that note, KC has a pretty low cost of living;)
Love You Liz!
Post a Comment